Translate

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

From 300 to 206! Wow!

You probably are thinking about weight loss right now, right?  Yes, that was intentional.  Sorry I mislead you.  (Nah! I'm not really!)

I was inspired this week to comment on a Tweet posted this morning by @hereisjasmin of http://www.resizeu-iwant2bhealthy.com/ (I like that name!).

She posted that we have 300 bones when we are born and by the time of adulthood, we only have 206.  It's not that I didn't know that (pat on the back) but I started to worry again for people, especially women, who know very little about their own bodies.

I think it should be required that we take an anatomy and physiology class once we've developed our bodies to know what it's doing, how it works, what to expect it to do in the future, and how to keep it in optimum condition for as long as we can.  I say as long as we can because...well, come on..from the moment we are born, we start to die.  GOOD MORNING, SUNSHINE!!! Sorry, but it's a fact.

Anyway, back to the body and the mind.  There is a definite connection.  There is no reason for us to pay attention to our bodies, unless there is pain or pleasure.  No? What the heck?  Throw a psychology class in there, too!

I'd like to ask the average reader of this blog, do you know where your diaphragm is and what it does?  And, no, I'm not talking birth control here.  But speaking of that, do you understand how and when and why you have a menstrual cycle? Where blood is made? How the heart, veins, arteries work?  Where certain hormones are secreted and what their function is? It's amazing how we can have these incredibly efficient and intricately engineered bodies and not want to know all about them unless we're studying for a job in a medical field. 

The diaphragm is a muscle located at the base of our lungs.  It helps us to breathe thoroughly allowing total emptying of the lungs on exhalation with help from the abdominal muscles (everyone's aware of those!).  In fact, correct and healthy breathing does not come when you stick out your chest and inhale until it hurts but when you expand your abs.  You are literally filling your lungs from the bottom up.

See?  We don't even know how to breathe!! (Unless you take yoga or a martial art.)

I encourage everyone to do some research, take a class, anything to make yourself more knowledgeable about the only body you have. 

I could go on about how the brain works...which is, indeed, separate from the "mind" but I don't want to sound like a know-it-all.  God knows, I only know a tiny fraction of what there is to know in this world and I'll be the first to admit it. 

Thinking of a recent encounter, I do want readers to know something about how my mind and soul work. Ahem. I'll never be that person who has to have the last word, who claims to have every subject known and will debate you with both gloves on, and needs followers to confirm me in my 'rightness'. I've met people like that all my life and now I just listen, obtain the info in-between that is actually useful, thank them and move on.

I find those exact actions lead to a more peaceful existence for me. 

But that's just me rebooting.

Have a blessed rest of the week, All!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your input. It is assured that all comments are read and considered. Have a blessed day!