Translate

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Bird's NOT the Word?????

It still amazes me that there are people who don't like turkey. 

Why? What did Tom ever do to you?

Ah!  I bet it was Aunt Josie's dry bird that turned you off!

Or was it the time Uncle David didn't clean it and left the insides all nicely wrapped in paper inside. Ew.

OK...I'm with ya!

Truly, I think everyone loves the sides and desserts more than anything else.  Being raised in an African-American family, I know that everyone thinks their 'dressing' or whatever, is the best, even if we all know our Grandma's was the best. I was almost run out of town the year I tried putting apples in the dressing.  We don't speak of that anymore.

Everyone has favorites passed down through tradition and I think it's wonderful!  Eat. Pray. Love.  No. It's Pray, eat, sleep, eat again. Try to avoid the cops having to be called.

Thanksgiving is the schizo holiday that comes before the multiple-personality of Christmas.  And, I'm rather alright with that.  It's like a rehearsal dinner for 4 weeks later of Opening Night. 

On the 'real deal' we dress up a little more, put a little more care into decorating, get excited about seeing the relatives that didn't bother to or couldn't come to the 'rehearsal', and put everyone, including ourselves, on our best behavior.  I think it's great.  I think we NEED that rehearsal. 

We need to break out the pots and pans, make arrangements, and actually sit at the table instead of in front of the television.  Dessert, however, is allowed on both occasions in front of the t.v. due to football.   We get to hand down recipes and techniques to the next generation.  We get to instill the traditions of our families or start some.  It's lovely.

Then, why am I so stressed I could just crawl back into bed and STAY THERE???

This is the first...the FIRST...year that I'm not handling the turkey, macaroni and cheese, dressing, greens, ham, escalloped pineapple, mashed potatoes, SWEET potatoes, rolls, pies, and whatever new something I'd decide to try!  Then I'd rinse, wait 4 weeks, and repeat.

I have a lovely cousin in town who loves to cook.  Thank GOD, because we invited some friends without family over, as well. She offered to handle ALL the sides, and I would provide the meats, and my mother (who doesn't cook!) wanted to provide the desserts.  Fine.  All worked out.  Until last Monday when I injured my knee. 

No. No.  Don't feel sorry for me.  I feel it was my own fault.  What's that?  You didn't feel sorry.  Fine.

Everyone is being so great about it all.  Cousin's still doing her part, Hubby ordered (ordered!) a turkey and bought a cooked ham (forgive me, Grandma!), and I get to, maybe, heat the rolls up.  God bless them all!

Hubby grounded me like Denzel in "Flight". I'm not allowed to do ANYTHING until after I see the Ortho Doc. I, literally, don't know what to do with myself. It's touching how much he cares but he has NO idea what this is doing to my psyche!


Therefore, if you see a little more of me on Twitter and Facebook and HERE...this is why.  The fingers still work!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and have a wonderfully blessed day!  Oh....and Happy Birthday to Me. (Pitiful Sigh) LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your input. It is assured that all comments are read and considered. Have a blessed day!