Translate

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Dietbetting for Charity! Gulp!

Normally, if there's a diet bet going on, this girl will be one of the first ones out. I may as well just hand over the money and order a pizza. I have a pretty extensive vocabulary but can't get a grasp on the word "willpower". And, I'll be the first to admit it! (Who is this Will Power of whom you speak? Was he on the television in the 1970's?)

However, Joanna Soh of www.JoannaSoh.com has invited her YouTube viewers (http://youtu.be/mEEoMjsByxo)  and blog readers to join in an activity I'm pretty sure I can't fail in trying. That sounds lousy. It's an activity I KNOW I can do. It's all in the mind, People, and a lot on the backside. But...that's another topic. Hah! Butt.

Where was I?

She is a fitness trainer that has many videos posted showing everything from exercises to nutritious recipes and tips. Joanna's easygoing attitude is one I can tolerate better than the "Drop and give me 20!" trainers. I really don't want to punch her in the face! She speaks pleasantly but firmly and is able to offer quite a few good recipes (that's the foodie in me!) and is realistic about the exercises being challenging, yet encourages you to do as you are able. In fact, she addresses every body shape and fitness status in a few of the videos.

So, in trusting her trust in me, I've decided to take on the DietBet challenge and invite anyone else who'd like to jump in, to do so at http://www.dietbet.com/JoannaSoh.

The challenge begins October 13th and ends on November 9th. Now, we can do anything as long as we know for how long we have to do it, right? Right?? Right! You add to the kitty to begin and if you lose 4% of your body weight, you win! Basically, 4 weeks to lose 4%. That sounds *do-able to me. Did I just say I had a good vocabulary? *Private conversation with 'self'. There is no word as 'do-able'.

Anyway, the people who actually meet the goal get to split the 'pot' between them.  If too many hit it, there's a "No Lose Guarantee". The company will kick in the difference to make sure you at least get back what you put in. That's only one reason I agreed. It sounds like they don't expect people to succeed. How dare them! See? I only need the right motivation.

It's amazing that one can go through life and lack motivation to do something for yourself, just for yourself, without an external motivator. I'll be honest, nothing works for me. If I had to cut off my right arm for my family member or hitchhike across the country to help a friend, I'm in. When it comes to something as simple as caring for myself, it gets lost in translation.

You would think being accountable to others would make me want to do better but I'm neither competitive or overly concerned of what others think of me. There goes friendly non-monetary wagers!

I'm blessed to have what I need and don't 'want' expensive things, so money is not a motivator, either. I've wasted hundreds of dollars paying for gyms I rarely visited and diet centers I figured out were too corny and/or cultish to attend. I just stopped going.

My attention span seems to be a bit of a problem, as well.  I join or start, make dynamic progress and then promptly lose interest! I'm shocked I've been able to keep up this blog for as long as I have!

There is one thing and one thing only that will get me going. I think you all know what's coming.

When I win (and I WILL win), our Church's Food Pantry will benefit as I've designated them as my charity.

Every day I have a thought that makes me ashamed that we have so very much and so many have so very little. We waste. We sit. We don't repair the broken. We eat at restaurants. We get fatter! Then there are ones who are getting healthier spending so much on 'healthier' expensive foods and constantly talking about food. Meanwhile, others are wondering when they'll eat again.

This is why I love organizations like www.NoKidHungry.org (+No Kid Hungry) who are bringing attention to this dreadful situation of children without enough to eat. This just shouldn't be!

I suppose I do have a second motivator. One of my pet peeves is when someone tells me I can't do something. It makes me want to do it more than ever! It's not like a child bent on having her way. It is more of an insult to tell me what you think I'm capable of doing. I'm still working on the whole 'humility' thing. The idea that the Dietbetter company is willing to chip in 'just in case' everyone makes the goal, tells me they don't expect everyone to make their goals! It's good financial sense to make that statement as more will join knowing they can't lose their money, only weight. They don't know me, though, and I will get that money back, and more, for the Food Pantry. So there!

Bottom line, I've found motivation. Now, if I could just find that guy, Will Power.

Wish me blessings, luck, and success to do this little bit from this little section of the Earth I inhabit. Thanks!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your input. It is assured that all comments are read and considered. Have a blessed day!