Translate

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Delights?

The English language is confusing. Ask anyone trying to learn it. I am a lover of words. I am a student of learning about words and their origins. Inquisitive?  Alright. I'm a Big Ole Nerd. I used to read dictionaries as a kid. I think I covered that in the post about Strange Children. Moving on...

Any word that begins with the prefix de- will usually mean there is a reduction, a negation, a removal, an undoing, or a reversal. Words such as decrease, devalue, degrade, delete, and deter display this 'rule'.

So what's up with delight?

Delight should, technically, mean less light. It should mean darkness. It should mean shutting off the light.

Instead, delight gives you pleasure, lifts you, gives you enjoyment or satisfaction. It pleases you. It brings light.  It's the only word I can think of right now that means the opposite of what it should mean. There are others, I'm sure.

In Spanglish (my word) it would be broken down as such: De (of or from) and light (obvious). Therefore, it would be something or someone that is of light or from light.

Light is always a good thing. We couldn't exist without natural light. We wouldn't want to exist without seeing Light in others. We try to be a light to others. We diet to become lighter. Light is good. Delight is good.

What brings you delight? Is it a good meal, finishing a tough task, discovering a new talent, or having a good time with a new friend?



I feel delight when I see children, when I think of my daughter and husband, when I hear beautiful music, and especially when I wake up and am able to get out of bed in the morning!

There should always be a delight in our life. I say, 7 times per day we should be able to say, "That was delightful!" and mean it! "It was full of delight and I felt it! I wonder what delights tomorrow will bring?" Just keep it to a level that won't bring on the nice men with the white jackets that tie in the back. Although, basket-weaving can be delightful!

Reboot Challenge?

Think about and discover what delights you and pursue it with all your energy. People say life is short. Life is just Life, however long we have it. Make it count. Everyday open the box and see what delightful treat is inside meant just for you!



Happy Easter and Pasach Sameach, Y'all!
 

2 comments:

  1. Such a cute picture with the cat. Is that you in the picture? That is interesting with the word delight and how you broke down its meaning if we used "de" as reduction. So true about the English language being an interesting one. I find delight in reading a good book, seeing my son, spending time with hubby.

    (I had to laugh with your comment on the drive from Arizona to San Diego and Gila Bend. I know exactly the A and W you are talking about, LOL; we moved from the San Diego here in January :)

    Happy Easter!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to read today's post! And, that MY daughter when she lived in Turkey. Cat just decided to join her! Thanks for the comment! Happy Easter! (Can't believe that A&W is still there! lol)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your input. It is assured that all comments are read and considered. Have a blessed day!