Translate

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Jammin'!

You should have seen and heard me this morning during my violin lesson. I was JAMMIN'!

Well, not the way a real musician would think of it but in my mind, as always, I was.

Learning an instrument at a 'mature' age isn't easy. I chalk up my slowness in building my talent to that and to having a million and one things on my mind (as my husband says) while trying to concentrate on it.

With a violin, the very least you are doing involves, bow hold and positioning correctly, holding the violin in place under your chin, keeping your wrist in a particular position, placing your fingers on the correct strings in the correct place, reading the notes you are playing, knowing the tempo and key you are playing, recognizing where and when notes are stronger and louder or softer and quieter to make a song sound like the composer intended. That's not all, of course, just a sample!

For a woman that can barely chew gum and walk at the same time, I'm doing alright. I used to be a multi-tasker and could balance balls in the air like you wouldn't believe! Those days are gone, obviously. I've reluctantly accepted that. Life changes. When it does, you tweak actions to 'fit', to be successful. But, nothing should make you stop, altogether! But, nothing should make you stop! (That's a bad joke but let's see who gets it.)

In my mind, I know I can get this violin to sing one day. I'm going to keep at it until it does. I'm going to practice like I have no other worries or thoughts in the day. Then I'm going to take a nap.

When I hear beautiful playing, it can bring tears to my eyes. I want to get that sound. I know you know what I mean. Listen to people like Lindsey Stirling or +TheMadViolinist (@TheMadViolinist) and you'll know what inspires me.

True, age is catching up with me and MS makes it a challenge, but I can't and won't let that stop me from this goal of mine. I can play a mean Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and many of the Bach pieces in the study book. I wait for the day when it all comes together, though. That day will come when I don't sound like a "student". I wait for the day it all 'clicks' and comes together. That day, I'll be in tune with every piece, with every movement, with every note, with every sound in the Universe....and play from the heart, not my brain.

I may never be a professional at this. In fact, I really don't expect to get beyond novice but it's something I've longed to do all my life. It was time. Life got in the way earlier and I allowed it.

If there is anything you've dreamed to do or learn, for Heaven's sake, JUST DO IT! Find a way! At whatever age or circumstance you are in, if it's a longing you have, it may be meant to be. This is a one-shot deal with Life.

Reboot Challenge? JAM while you can!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your input. It is assured that all comments are read and considered. Have a blessed day!